1. My family is nuts. My mom, Denise, is one of 15 kids (I wonder if they’re Irish Catholic) and has an identical twin, Deneen. My old man, Bruce, is what is known as an OHCODA or ‘Only Hearing Child of Deaf Adults’ which means that his parents and his twin brother, Brian, are deaf but he isn’t. My Mom was a teacher and school administrator and my Dad was a Chief Technology Officer. Coincidentally, I often teach people about technology. Weird, eh?
2. I have played lacrosse for over 20 years and had the chance to compete in NCAA national championships and coached Salisbury University’s club team to the NCLL national championship game. I have coached in every community that I've operated restaurants in which include: Fort Mill high school in Fort Mill, SC, Millbrook high school in Raleigh, NC, and currently, Broughton high school in Raleigh, NC.
3. I started the first ever pedicab (bike taxi) business in Ocean City, MD, called Coastal CruZn
. I started a pretty humorous blog
to document the experience and my partner and I later sold the business and the operation is still alive and well in Frederick, MD.
4. In a former life, I helped build a fast casual concept, Tenders/PDQ, from inception to 15 units and worked as a general manager for three years. I volunteered for the first four months and slept on an old college couch because I was determined to show the world my skills and make the brand a success. At the first unit, we ended up growing average weekly sales from $23,500 to over $44,000 in just under a year. To facilitate this growth, I owe it almost entirely to social media. I worked really hard but, man, was it worth it!
5. I wrote a book called ‘Triple Your Tips’ and filmed a web TV show
illustrating its principles. The whole concept was around teaching service professionals how to make more money and have a lot more fun. This was the experience that prompted my social media consulting and pseudo Internet fame.
6. One of my professional goals is to get my Web TV show, "Bad Food Reviews" (BFR), picked up on television. The mission of BFR is to rid the world of bad restaurant reviews through education (both for the restaurants and the reviewers) and top-notch entertainment.
7. I served as the National Sales Director at talklocal
(TC). We invented Pay-Per-Conversation™ marketing technology that connects consumers and local businesses in real time and got funded by a prominent VC group in Washington, DC. TC is well on their way to becoming a household name.
8. I've written four books (most recently, hungrybook.org
) and am in the process of writing a Dummies book about social media. I wouldn't say that I'm the best writer, however, I am good at disseminating a lot of information and showing people exactly how to do something though.
9. I attended the Franklin P. Perdue School of Business at Salisbury University and attained my BS in Economics and my MBA. Yes, Perdue, as in the chicken company, funded my education and I have an abnormally soft spot in my heart for the yardbird.