1. My family is nuts. My mom, Denise, is one of 15 kids (I wonder if they’re Irish Catholic) and has an identical twin, Deneen. My old man, Bruce, is what is known as an OHCODA or ‘Only Hearing Child of Deaf Adults’ which means that his parents and his twin brother, Brian, are deaf but he isn’t. My Mom was a teacher and school administrator and my Dad was a Chief Technology Officer. Coincidentally, I often teach people about technology. Weird, eh?
2. I helped build a fast casual concept, Tenders/PDQ
, from inception to 15 units and worked as a general manager for three years. I volunteered for the first four months and slept on an old college couch because I was determined to show the world my skills and make the brand a success. At the first unit, we ended up growing average weekly sales from $23,500 to over $44,000 in just under a year. To facilitate this growth, I ended up developing my own online customer satisfaction system, creating a one time offer website that collected over 600 loyal fan's email addresses, managed all of our social engines and much more. I worked really hard but, man, was it worth it!
3. I’ve worked with some of the biggest brands in the world (McDonald’s, Domino’s, Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, etc.). I started out volunteering my time and offering free ‘sales and profit boosting audits' and ended up building my consultancy into what it is today (you're welcome to snag a free audit yourself if you email me
or call/text me at 301.512.7391
4. I have played lacrosse for over 20 years and had the chance to compete in NCAA national championships and coached Salisbury University’s club team to the NCLL national championship game. I have coached in every community that I've operated restaurants in which include: Fort Mill high school in Fort Mill, SC, Millbrook high school in Raleigh, NC, and currently, Broughton high school which is Millbrook's rival in Raleigh, NC.
5. I started the first ever pedicab (bike taxi) business in Ocean City, MD, called Coastal CruZn
. I started a pretty humorous blog
to document the experience and my partner and I later sold the business and the operation is still alive and well in Frederick, MD.
6. I wrote a book called ‘Triple Your Tips’ and filmed a web TV show
illustrating its principles. The whole concept was around teaching service professionals how to make more money and have a lot more fun. This was the experience that prompted my consulting and pseudo Internet fame.
7. I served as the National Sales Director at Seva Call
. We invented Pay-Per-Conversation™ marketing technology that connects consumers and local businesses in real time and got funded by a VC group in Washington, DC. Seva is well on their way to becoming a household name.
8. My girlfriend, Amber, was the co-hostess for the Carolina Hurricanes (she’s pretty and belongs on a jumbotron) and is currently the director of promotions for the Kannapolis Intimidators.
9. I attended the Franklin P. Perdue School of Business at Salisbury University and attained my BS in Economics and my MBA. Yes, Perdue, as in the chicken company, funded my education and I have an abnormally soft spot in my heart for the yardbird.